- Players must be entering grades 6-9 in the fall when the Battle occurs.
- Each team may have no more than 5 players on “stage” in any given round of competition.
- Substitutes must be instituted before a new game starts but not once the game has begun.
- Bracketed, double elimination rounds will be played according to a schedule.
- The schedule will be set up to ensure that each team gets to play at least twice.
- In the bracketed competition a BYE is considered an automatic win.
- The same questions will be used for each round within a bracket.
- There will be 25 questions asked in each round.
- The questions will be based on 8 predetermined titles.
- A buzzer system will be used for all teams in each competition.
- The first team member to buzz will be called on to answer the question and may confer with teammates.
- He/she must answer within 10 seconds after the Emcee acknowledges him/her.
- The answer must contain the full title and full author’s name. The title’s initial article (A, An, The) does not have to be given as part of the answer.
- If the first team gives a wrong answer or declines to answer the question, a member of the second team must buzz in and answer within 10 seconds after the Emcee acknowledges him/her. The team may confer within that 10 second period.
- A question will only be repeated for the second team if the first team buzzes before the Emcee completes the question the first time.
- Only team members and coaches may challenge procedures.
- Procedural challenges will be deliberated with the two coaches and judges conferring quietly together.
- Judges will have final say in all procedural challenges.
- Questions and answers cannot be challenged.
- Team gets 1 point for each correct answer, which must include the correct title and the author’s full name.
- In case of a tie, additional questions will be given until the tie is broken.
- Any team that shouts out an answer before being acknowledged by the Emcee will be penalized 1 point.